The renewal window for registered nurse (“RN”) and advanced practice registered nurse (“APRN”) licenses issued by the Ohio Board of Nursing (“Board”) begins Monday, July 1, 2019, and ends on Thursday, October 31, 2019. Renewal is completed online using the Ohio eLicense system.
Prepare for Renewal Now
- Update your email address. Beginning in mid-June, the Board will send renewal notifications to your email address on record with the Board. You will not receive a renewal notice by U.S. mail. To update your email address, call the Ohio eLicense Service Center at (855) 405-5514.
- Use an appropriate web browser. The Ohio eLicense website works best if you use Google Chrome as your web browser. You can also use Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer (Version 11).
- Expired or forgotten passwords. If you have not used the Ohio eLicense system in the past 12 months, your password has expired. If your password has expired or you have forgotten your password, visit the Ohio eLicense system website and click the “Forgot Password?” link to reset your password.
- Additional information may be required. The renewal application includes, but is not limited to, questions concerning criminal, licensure, mental health matters, and alcohol/drugs matters. All information provided in the renewal application is required to be true and accurate. Depending on the response given to certain questions in the renewal application, uploading an explanation and Certified copies of certain specific documents may also be required. If you are required to provide any additional documentation as part of your renewal application, the documents must be uploaded through the online system. No hard copies of documents will be accepted.
The Renewal Process
- Renewal Fees. The renewal fee for RNs is $65.00 and the renewal fee for APRNs is $135.00.
- Must pay by credit or debit. Renewal fees must be paid online at the time of renewal using either a Master Card, VISA, or Discover credit or debit card.
- Continuing education (“CE”). You must complete your CE requirements by October 31, 2019 to maintain licensure. You do not have to provide documentation of completed CE, but you do have to attest that you have complied with the CE requirements required by the Board.
- Renew as soon as possible. Incomplete applications or failure to pay renewal fee will cause your application to be rejected by the Board. Waiting until a deadline and realizing you do not have all of the information needed to complete the application may prevent you from renewing timely.
- Late fees. If you do not complete your application and pay the appropriate renewal fee by September 15, 2019, you must pay a late fee. For those licensees filing late, the total cost for RNs is $115.00 ($65.00 renewal fee plus $50.00 late fee) and the total cost for APRNs is $135.00 ($135.00 renewal fee plus $50.00 late fee).
If you do not file a complete renewal application and/or pay the required fee by October 31, 2019, your license will lapse. A registered nurse or advanced practice registered nurse in Ohio whose license has lapsed is not authorized to work as a nurse until their nursing license is reinstated by the Board. It is a disciplinable offense to engage in the practice of nursing on a lapsed nursing license.
In certain cases, the renewal application may be forwarded to the Board’s Compliance Unit for review and a Board investigator may contact the nurse to obtain additional information. In other cases, a Consent Agreement may be offered to the nurse to resolve a disciplinable offense instead of preceding to an administrative hearing.
If you do not understand a question in your renewal application, or do not know what additional information to upload with your renewal application, it is recommended to obtain experienced legal counsel to assist you before submitting your renewal application, speaking with any Board investigator, or signing a Consent Agreement.
As always, if you have questions about this post or the Ohio Board of Nursing, contact Beth Collis (Beth.Collis@dinsmore.com) at (614) 628-6945 or Todd Collis (Todd.Collis@dinsmore.com) at (614) 628-6962.